Wednesday 22 January 2014

Getting my smarts on - Book Review

I have fallen in love with a book...

I am not an avid reader by any means, but I do like to read from time to time, I get quite attached to the books that I read, I have no idea why but I always go back and read them again and again. Maybe its a comfort thing, I don't know.

The book in question is Welcome to Rosie Hopkins Sweetshop of Dreams by Jenny Colgan. This is the what the websites say..
Were you a sherbet lemon or chocolate lime fan? Penny chews or hard boiled sweeties (you do get more for your money that way)? The jangle of your pocket money ...the rustle of the pink and green striped paper bag ...Rosie Hopkins thinks leaving her busy London life, and her boyfriend Gerard, to sort out her elderly Aunt Lilian's sweetshop in a small country village is going to be dull. Boy, is she wrong. Lilian Hopkins has spent her life running Lipton's sweetshop, through wartime and family feuds. As she struggles with the idea that it might finally be time to settle up, she also wrestles with the secret history hidden behind the jars of beautifully coloured sweets. Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams - a novel - with recipes. *Winner of the RNA Romantic Novel of the Year Award 2013*

Needless to say, from the first line of this review, you knew I just loved this book. I can't say enough good things about it - I mean whats not to love, romance, bit of history and SWEETS!
I picked this book up in WHSmiths at Gatwick airport just before my holiday last year. I am not going to beat around the bush and say I picked this book up because I had read lots of reviews and so on, I just picked this up on a whim, the title intrigued me, it was right up my street.
The thing I love most about this book is the way that Jenny Colgan tells the tale of two women, in installments of their lives throughout the entire book, picking up where each one left off, with cliffhangers pulling you in, feeling a need to want to know what happens next. Lilians 1940's installments were a pleasure to read if you are like me and love a bit of history. I become quite invested in both characters and both of whom I found myself really rooting for, Rosie is a bit of black sheep in the family as is Lilian, Rosie is a bit of an under achiever with a fully grown child for a boyfriend but she is still bubbly, positive and upbeat - it is refreshing to say the least.
There is just the right amount of romance in both Rosie and Lilians tales, with strapping young men in each installment of both of their lives, but the main relationship and dare I say love story in the novel is between Rosie and her great aunt Lilian, in most romantic novel the two main characters have to overcome obstacles, feelings and conflicts to gain such a bond, there is no exception here. Rosie is just what Lilian needed and Lilian is just what Rosie needed, its a match made in heaven!

I cant praise this book enough, there are plenty of things to love about this book, I urge to go and get yourself a copy of this book it is 'Sheer Indulgence'



No comments:

Post a Comment