Wednesday 9 January 2013

Contour and Highlighting - How To!

Hey Chickies!

I think the whole world and their dogs know who Kim Kardashian is, if you don't you must have been hiding under a rock for the past few years. Her specific make up look is one of the many things she is famous for. She tweeted a picture of herself with Contour and Highlight bases all over her face, along with another picture of her with yellow make up all over her face, it lead me to think what is that yellow miracle stuff? How do I contour and get the Kimmy K bone structure?


Well, I found out, and I am so glad I did. I really enjoy contouring and highlighting I do think that it gives extra dimensions to your base face. I was going through numerous videos on contouring and highlighting on YouTube, then I found it, Gossmakeupartist made a step by step video view it HERE 

If thats not helpful enough I am going to explain how I do it and what I use. 



I start off by using a primer because we use a fair amount of product, using a primer will keep the make up from slip sliding everywhere; the primer I use will more than likely Laura Mercier Oil Free Primer £28 as this is one of the only primers that keeps my make up in place for the whole day, as I have an annoyingly oily t-zone. 

After I have applied my primer I grab my Rimmel Match Perfection foundation in 100 Ivory 2nd lightest shade £6.99  - this is going to act as my highlighter foundation for the bits that I want to draw towards the eye/camera. I apply the foundation from under my eyes down to the tops of my cheeks, down the nose up to between my brows and along the just above the tops of my eyebrows. 

Then I take my Soleil tan de Chanel £29 this is a bronzing make up base, it is a completely matt tan coloured cream bronzer to use as my contour colour. I apply the product underneath my cheek bones to define the cheek bones, contrasting with the lighter colour foundation highlight, creating a shadow effect, you usually can feel where your cheekbones are by sucking in the cheeks, it also goes up threw the temples and on the hair line this also contrasts with the highlight foundation on the forehead above the brow, and on the jaw line, creating the shadows where needed. 

Little side note putting the product down the sides of the nose can slim the nose as well if thats what floats your boat, I always add some to this area. 

Once all this is place your face should look a little bit like this.. 
The next step is easy apply a little bit of your chosen foundation, best not to use a full heavy coverage foundation, light to medium foundation will work best with the highlight and contour I use the Chanel AquaLumiere Foundation or the Boujois Healthy Mix Foundation pump some on the back of your hand. Grab a buffing brush, my choice would be the Real Techniques Buffing Brush dip the brush into the foundation on your hand and start buffing the foundation lightly over the contours and highlights already in place. The look should start to look like its coming together. 

For the finishing touches, I apply a light concealer, I use Benefit It Stick which is now discontinued *cryface* but any concealer that is a couple of shades lighter than your foundation, I apply this under my eyes to give that extra bit of coverage as I have quite bad dark circles.
I set under my eyes with a yellow powder even if you don't use concealer I still set with a loose yellow toned powder. 
The actual one Kim Kardashian uses and loves is the Ben Nye Banana powder but until I get my mits on that I am using the Benefit Bluff Dust £17.50  which is very good but I do want to try the infamous Banana Powder. 

Also I go over my contours with a matt bronzer, to deepen and show the contours that little bit more if I want a more dramatic look. 


Ben Nye Banana Powder

I have a wish list of thing that I want to get to try out when it comes to contouring and highlighting; 

-Ben Nye Banana Powder is an obvious choice 
-Ben Nye Media Pro Cream Contour 18 Colour Palette is number one on the wish list, downside is that is a whopping £70 do I dare go there?

It seems Ben Nye seems the master of all contouring and highlighting, don't you think?

Are you a fan of the Kimmy K look?

I hope this helps. I love contouring and highlighting and would love to know if any of you guys have any tips? 

Until Next Time, 
Jess 
xx 


2 comments:

  1. Great post! I'd like to experiment more and try out the Ben Nye powder soon xx

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Evelyn! I really want to try the Ben Nye powder if you get it you'll have to let me know what you think! :) x

    ReplyDelete